Re: [LUG] Web hosts and DNS

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 12:45:46PM +0100, kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>   BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;
> }First can I ask does any one work for Simple web hosts on the list?
>  If so
>  Sorry for the next rant.....
>  Three years ago I changed ( or so I thought) web hosts
>  I had a big problem asking my old host the alter the DNS to my new
> host and I thought they had done it and I had begun my new hosting
> contract with Streamline.net.
>  Anyho..
>  I check my CreditCard yesterday and a entry from the old host
> Simlple was there!
>  So I mailed them and asked why
>  They replied the account was live still and I and still paying.
>  I said It wasn't and I wont
>  (stalemate).  But I didn't know they held the ace.
>  So now my Domain www.minionsbandb.co.uk is off the air!!
>  Have I made a mistake in assuming they are in charge still of My DNS
> entry?  Is this what I have been paying for the past three years
> (£23.50/year).
>  Or should they have done the Correct thing and when I left them
> pointed DNS to my new hosts Streamline.net.
>  Comment very much appreciated
>  Kevin (from webmail)
>  Just a thought can any of you actually reply to this!!!!
>  .

I will let the knowledgeable reply about DNS but:

1)  What did your contract say? Did you tell them that you wanted to cancel
    the service (from the wording of your question, I guess not).

2)  If you did tell them that you wanted to cancel their service (and
    hopefully you have some evidence of this) then tell them. If they
    reject this then go to your bank and ask them to help

    (FWIW if you spend more than £100 then banks are equally liable, if
    less, it is worth a try)

3)  If you did cancel the service that what is you new company (streamline)
    charging you for. If they charged for DNS then perhaps you could ask
    them why they did not transfer that.

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.