[LUG] Bootable USB disk

Trying to download and burn a Debian bootable ISO and for some reason I am
failing.. Can someone tell me where I have gone wrong (I have even tried
burning it from a flashy windows 7 machine)

Ideally would like a bootable usb flash drive as that saves on yet another
cd..

I have tried

wodim debian*iso
wodim -v -dao deb*iso

I know I am missing something silly: any assistance greatfully appreciated

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.