Re: [LUG] Speaking of Perl

On 22 June 2010 12:35, Martijn Grooten <sweetwatergeek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:43 PM, Simon Waters wrote:
>> I think PHP sucks in comparison to Perl.
>>
>> In what way do you think PHP is more user friendly?
>
> In that you can write a working web page in HTML and then add a few
> PHP bits to make it more dynamic.

True. It is very simple to get started.

> You can't do that with Perl, or at
> least not easily. (I should have said "PHP is more friendly to users
> who maintain the website of the local tennis club in their spare
> time".)

Not quite - HTML::Mason will allow you to do the same, but with Perl,
along with embperl.

I wouldn't use PHP directly for a simple website tho, even as a
beginner - about 100% of what you need for most sites that a newbie
would code in PHP is available as a simple to install application for
free or under 100 quid.

Perch, Orbis and many other PHP CMS applications handle the low end of
content management - once you're beyond that then your newbie PHP
skills won't go very far anyway, and you're either looking at a
framework like Joomla, Drupal, Django, Rails or Catalyst to build your
web application with or you're customising a heavyweight CMS like
Bricolage.

Cheers

A.

--