[LUG] Speaking of Perl

How widely is it used these days?

When I was at university in the second half of the 90s -- and was
first introduced to Unix -- it was the thing everyone who wanted to do
more than send emails and browse the web used. Now I can see why PHP
has taken over for website development, as it is a lot more
user-friendly, and Linux had become a lot less CLI-dependent but for
anything that involves processing text data, it is still a great, fast
and simple tool to use. It is my main tool in my job, which involves
email processing and a bit of web development, and I wouldn't want to
use something else.

However, when I talk to people who know a a bit about programming and
stuff and tell them I mostly use Perl, they stare at me as if I just
told them I browse the web using Quarterdeck Mosaic.

So do people still use Perl professionally? Privately? Are new people
(say at uni) still learning Perl?

Martijn.

PS apologies to the mods for sending this message from an invalid
address just before. I had forgotten I had switched from googlemail.com
to gmail.com.