Re: [LUG] OT - Weird WinXP Internet connection issues

Julian Hall wrote:

> Using telnet and traceroute should have prompted any antivirus to ask
> for permission for them to access the network / Internet as well.  If it
> didn't either a) none is installed - doubtful, or b) they're already
> allowed.

I think you assume too much about how these behave, and they can of
course also be broken.

Besides traceroute worked, and telnet to port 25 failed, which could be
a mail proxy, which is common with antivirus, most of them uniformly
awful proxies of (E)SMTP, but that wouldn't explain website issues.

Also some ISPs block port 25. I like Rob though of web proxy settings.
Perhaps also the symptoms are more than one problem. We'd need more
tests, what does telnet to port 80 and a manual HTTP request get back?
What about other protocols other then SMTP and HTTP?