Re: [LUG] OT - Weird WinXP Internet connection issues

On 20/06/2010 23:48, Simon Waters wrote:
Grant Sewell wrote:
On my Mum's XP PC she can't load up *any* webpages nor will most
applications actually make a successful outgoing connection.  I have
installed LogMeIn onto it so I can remotely help her. She has Skype
installed. Both of these run at startup.  Both of these are working
absolutely fine.
Any thoughts?
Mangled browser proxy settings - unlikely if port 25 affected.

Firewall or Antivirus software intercepting these requests and failing
to proxy. Try disabling if there is a NAT router to keep you safe.

Malware installed.
Using telnet and traceroute should have prompted any antivirus to ask for permission for them to access the network / Internet as well. If it didn't either a) none is installed - doubtful, or b) they're already allowed.

What about FTP? That's the only other DOS command line function I can think of that will allow you to manually connect to a remote server. Besides ping that is but ping doesn't require a login.

I'd agree about the malware. What AV is installed? I've heard a recent update to Norton knackered things for some people. That may have a bearing - or not if it's another AV program.

Julian