Re: [LUG] Speaking of Perl

On Fri, 2010-06-18 at 20:31 +0100, Martijn Grooten wrote:
> How widely is it used these days?

We use perl for most in house written systems for our spam and malware
analysis labs. That's web apps, batch processing systems and a whole
array of command line tools.

My new boss (as of a few months ago) was somewhat startled by the scale
of the systems we have built using perl.

I get the impression that the people who discover it generally grow to
love it, but it's not the cool kid on the block anymore so fewer people
will come across it. Having said this, the perl community seems very
much alive and well.

I just wish there was some way to move onto Perl 6, if only because a
big version number would create some new buzz around perl which would be
great.

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.