Re: [LUG] OT - Weird WinXP Internet connection issues

On 20/06/10 21:09, Grant Sewell wrote:
Hi all,

Sorry for the Windows question on a Linux list, but I figure someone
here may be able to point out the obvious to me - I've been racking my
brains over this for several hours now.

On my Mum's XP PC she can't load up *any* webpages nor will most
applications actually make a successful outgoing connection.  I have
installed LogMeIn onto it so I can remotely help her. She has Skype
installed. Both of these run at startup.  Both of these are working
absolutely fine.

<snip>

 From Mum's XP machine:
telnet smtp.googlemail.com 25
Connecting To smtp.googlemail.com...Could not open connection to the host, on port
25: Connect failed

(Also, all webbrowsers fail to connect to anything on the WAN side).

Any thoughts?

Grant.

Um... is there any proxy server set on Internet Explorer?

Has she got a firewall (either the built in Windows Firewall or another 3rd party firewall) running?

Rob