Re: [LUG] software freedom day 2010

On 17/06/10 18:55, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 17/06/10 13:39, Roland Tarver wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Paul Sutton<zleap@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>> Is anyone up for doing something for software freedom day in 2010,  date
>>> below
>>>
>>> Saturday 18th September
>>
>> yes.
>>

>>> I am asking now as so that people can book that date ahead and try and
>>> make sure it is kept free.
>>
>> I think that will be at the end of the induction week for the 3rd (and
>> final) uni year. So I should be able to come since there will not be
>> much work on at that point :-)  (plus its a Saturday)
>>

> I thought students spent their first couple of weeks drinking beer and
> not doing much else? :-)
>
>>> Venue, I was thinking the lighthouse in Paignton, as I can't think of
>>> anywhere else.
>>>
>>> Would anyone be willing to sponsor such an event or help contact people
>>> who may wish to sponsor it.  I will check to see if people (sponsors)
>>> can set up tables and sell stuff.
>>>
>>> We may also need
>>>
>>> demos
>>> talks
>>>
>>> etc
>>
>> I can contribute somehow.  :-)
>>
>> Perhaps a talk/demo (of something very simple - lol). Something that
>> would appeal to a wide audience..."Experiences Of A New User",
>> "Getting Started"? "WHY? open source" (that's an important question to
>> answer IMHO) hmmm<thinking...>
>>

> I think that's a good idea, real world experiences from someone new to
> Linux.
>
>> In terms of contacting potential sponsors - do you have any particular
>> groups in mind? Or just any one we can get interested?
>
> First of all I was thinking maybe Open Source companies, but there's no
> reason we can't approach some known Open Source friendly companies (I'd
> say Refresh Cartridges as the guy who owns it writes a computing article
> for the Herald Express and he's promoted Open Source software before).
> Maybe we could try to sign them up as an official event partner.
>
>> What stuff is sold at such an event?

I have just e-mailed aly to ask if this is possible,  i remember at the
first lug meet there were 3 rooms one was for talks, another for
installs and the 3rd was for coffee, etc,  however there was a table set
p with someone selling stuff as he owned a shop,  I think it was more of
a sponsor thing.

I need to check and make sure that is possible first as in somneone can
have a table and sell stuff.

As the lighthouse is a young persons venue i would like to see if some
of the young people can take a lead in some of the areas, such as talks,
 Or demo free software relating to music and media.

Paul