Re: [LUG] software freedom day 2010

On 17/06/10 13:39, Roland Tarver wrote:
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Paul Sutton<zleap@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
Is anyone up for doing something for software freedom day in 2010,  date
below

Saturday 18th September

yes.

I am asking now as so that people can book that date ahead and try and
make sure it is kept free.

I think that will be at the end of the induction week for the 3rd (and
final) uni year. So I should be able to come since there will not be
much work on at that point :-)  (plus its a Saturday)

I thought students spent their first couple of weeks drinking beer and not doing much else? :-)

Venue, I was thinking the lighthouse in Paignton, as I can't think of
anywhere else.

Would anyone be willing to sponsor such an event or help contact people
who may wish to sponsor it.  I will check to see if people (sponsors)
can set up tables and sell stuff.

We may also need

demos
talks

etc

I can contribute somehow.  :-)

Perhaps a talk/demo (of something very simple - lol). Something that
would appeal to a wide audience..."Experiences Of A New User",
"Getting Started"? "WHY? open source" (that's an important question to
answer IMHO) hmmm<thinking...>

I think that's a good idea, real world experiences from someone new to Linux.

In terms of contacting potential sponsors - do you have any particular
groups in mind? Or just any one we can get interested?

First of all I was thinking maybe Open Source companies, but there's no reason we can't approach some known Open Source friendly companies (I'd say Refresh Cartridges as the guy who owns it writes a computing article for the Herald Express and he's promoted Open Source software before). Maybe we could try to sign them up as an official event partner.

What stuff is sold at such an event?

We've not sold anything in the past, usually given out CDs and leaflets. We did try selling copies of the Open Disc a few years back at an event in Exeter but we didn't sell many. The last event we did in Preston went quite well because we gave CDs away.

Rob