Re: [LUG] Kids failing on coursework because of proprietary file formats

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:07:38 +0100
Julian Hall wrote:

> On 17/06/2010 15:36, Aaron Trevena wrote:
> > On 17 June 2010 11:58, Dan Dart<dandart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
> >
> >> That's not on.
> >>
> >> I used OOo and saved to Office, and lost all my drawings of test
> >> tubes and got lower marks.
> >> Disappointed in MS, they must die or be open NOW.
> >>
> > Surely to submit coursework they only need a printed or readonly
> > copy.. hence you can export to PDF, and submit that.
> >
> > A.
> >

> Some assignments require the official educational establishment's]
> cover page as part of the assignment, and if this is only available
> in electronic form it's a pain in the [insert bodypart of choice].
> Also we commonly had assignment deadlines in the middle of holidays
> so they had to be submitted electronically.  Granted that's unlikely
> in schools but you never know when some enthusiastic teacher is going
> to make sure the kids work over Xmas/the summer etc.
>
> Julian

When I was doing my PGCE (for 16+ teaching) we had to submit our
coursework via the PGCE's Moodle site.  This was for an IT module.
They specifically said they wanted work submitted as xyz format (.doc
for the documents, .mp3 for the audio work, etc, etc) so I duly did as
I was asked... sort of.

I actually uploaded a .7z file (astonishingly the College I was at did
use 7zip) which contained unencumbered versions of the files in
question (.odt, .ogg, etc) AND another .7z file with a .7z file inside
it, containing a .7z file... etc, etc... eventually winding up with the
file they requested, along with a plain text file explaining the merits
behind using unencumbered formats.

They weren't impressed. :D

Grant.