Re: [LUG] move user data and settings to new hard disk

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 10:18 PM, Gordon Henderson >>

<snip>

>> Thanks for the advice. My plan sounds like an un-necessary hassle,
>> lol! I will do as you do and get an old computer for the task. Just
>> need to get through all the uni work and then I _really_ want to give
>> Debian a spin......
>
> Although I use and advocate Debian myself, I'm not sure why you'd want to
> try Debian - you might find it a bit "old" compared to Unubtu and some
> others.

When I was working for the software company, I received my first
introduction to Linux by an out-sourced expert. He was a big advocate
of Debian and I think it has had a lasting impact. lol.

Combined with the fact that I tried to install it once before (about 8
years ago) and really struggled. So now I view it as a ..... a
"learning opportunity" ;-) lol.

Combining further, I believe Debian has some of the highest open
source morals and then there is its renowned quality and not
forgetting it is built entirely by the community (no corporate
involvement). I just think it is idealistic and of high quality, both
of which seem to suit me.

Finally, when you say "old", do you mean old looking? Not particularly
pointy-clicky? I am not too fussed what it looks like and I try limit
my pointed-clicks. ;-)

...and if that was not sufficient rationale for giving it a go - I
dont know what is!

> However, once you get sorted out, what I might suggest is having one disk
> for data (ie. /home) and use the other to test out distributions - you ought
> to be able to create many different distros this way, all bootable with the
> flick of a lilo (or grub) prompt.

hmmm I'm listening....   <PricksEarsUp>

Hold that thought :-). A conversation for a different time (post
deadline [25th june])...hehe.

Best wishes
Roly :-) (...clearly in essay overload...;-))