Re: [LUG] Power Use was Atom 330 setup wanted

John Williams wrote:
On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 01:49 +0100, James Fidell wrote:

Originally I had a P4 3GHz which was sucking around 270W, which works
out at somewhere around Â240/year for electricity at 16 hours a day.  My
current 330 box draws less than 40W, but lets call it that.  That works
out at Â35/year.  It doesn't take long to pay for itself.

Are these numbers correct ?

I have not thought about the cost of running the my desktop box except
in passing, and it stays on 24/7/365. If these costs are in the right
ballpark though I am really going to be having a reconsider on my setup.

I measured mine as drawing 270W when not doing a whole lot, so at 16
hours per day and around 15p/unit I worked it out as:

  units/day = 270 * 16 / 1000 = 4.32
  units/year = 4.32 * 365 = 1576.8
  cost = 1576.8 * 0.15 = 236.52

I may be able to get the electricity a little cheaper, but I can't
really see it coming in at less than Â200.

Of course if anyone wants to point out an error in my maths...

James