Re: [LUG] Atom 330 setup wanted

On 11/06/10 23:55, James Fidell wrote:
I have an Atom 330 box as my desktop which is excellent except for
Thunderbird, Firefox and Eclipse between them eating all my RAM and
then some.

I see there are a few Atom 330 boards supporting 4GB RAM rather than
my current 2GB. Anyone care to recommend a box containing such a
motherboard (I'm almost beyond the point of wanting to build a system
myself).

Bonus points for built-in bluetooth, firewire, USB/sound sockets on the
front, card reader or space to add one and for not having a Realtek NIC
or at least having space to put another in, having space for a 3.5"
disk, a DVD drive and being small and quiet. Minus several million
points for useless bling.

Any pointers?

James

Does it specifically have to be an Atom 330?

I believe Intel have released a new range of Atom's, the D410 (1.6GHz single core with HT), D425 (1.8GHz single core with HT), D510 (1.6GHz dual core with HT) and D525 (1.8GHz dual core with HT). I gather they have a few tweaks and are faster (and also from what I've seen a bit cheaper too).

If you really want an Atom 330, you might be worth looking at the Ionstar 330 from Asrock. It supports up to 4GB Ram, Gigabit LAN (although it doesn't say what it is), NVidia ION Chipset, 6 USB ports, 7.1 HD audio, HDMI and VGA output and a Slimline DVDRW drive.

It doesn't appear to have a card reader, internal Bluetooth or front audio.

The only drawback is that the only take a 2.5" notebook size hard drive, although you can get them in 7200RPM (I have on in my notebook, it's as fast as a desktop drive and only slightly more expensive than a normal 2.5" 5400RPM drive).

For all that though you're not going to get much change from about £250 though. Seems that small is expensive.

Rob