Re: [LUG] Proxmox VE

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Paul Hirst wrote:

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 13:54 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Paul Hirst wrote:

We are using DRBD + OCFS2 + KVM here to provide a redundant virtual
hosting solution. If you added a bit of monitoring and automatic
failover that's pretty much the solution you are looking for. Live
migration already works like a charm so adding failover should be simple
enough, we just haven't bothered yet.

Hm. that's intersting - but doesn't OCFS2 negate the need for DRBD???

OCFS2 is a shared access filesystem built on top of a shared block
device. Usually you would expect the shared block device to be a SAN
but you can instead use DRBD (in master-master mode) for a similar (and
generally much cheaper) result.

Of-course. I'm obviously having a brain-fart week - being frustrated with the client I mentioned below - been going through various scenarios to help them maximise storage for their little cluster fork of boxes for a particular application. Mean no-money startups who inherit old kit. Bah.

I did look at OCFS many (7?) years ago and wasn't sure of it's stability
then, but just had a quick look now and it's looking very intersting - and
I've a client who may benefit from it too... Do you have any idea of
performance of it?
All I can really say is it's 'fine'. We have DRBD running over a
crossover cable to it's pair machine, so that runs at a gigabit. We
don't currently have any performance concerns and I haven't run any
benchmarks.

I was going to run bonnie++ on the OCFS2 filesystem and on a local ext4
filesystem just to see the difference, but it claims I need to use file
sizes which are more than twice the amount of ram. The machine has 12G
of ram and I don't have 24G of free disk space without moving some
things around, so for the moment I'll have to leave it. If I ever get
round to doing some benchmarks I'll post the results.

It's to overcome RAM caching of the data - you can force bonnie to run with less than that - try it with just 1MB and look at the results :)

Gordon