Re: [LUG] Proxmox VE

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Paul Hirst wrote:

On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 20:18 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone has had a look at Proxmox VE at all?
No, although it looks nice

Basically I've been given the task to look at implementing a mirrored
server (that is, two servers which are identical and if one fails, the
other takes over).  I gather the term these days is failover.

We are using DRBD + OCFS2 + KVM here to provide a redundant virtual
hosting solution. If you added a bit of monitoring and automatic
failover that's pretty much the solution you are looking for. Live
migration already works like a charm so adding failover should be simple
enough, we just haven't bothered yet.

Hm. that's intersting - but doesn't OCFS2 negate the need for DRBD???

I did look at OCFS many (7?) years ago and wasn't sure of it's stability then, but just had a quick look now and it's looking very intersting - and I've a client who may benefit from it too... Do you have any idea of performance of it?

(of course the down-side is that there is only a 100Mb network where this client is - still cacheing, etc.)

Cheers,

Gordon