[LUG] Proxmox VE

Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone has had a look at Proxmox VE at all?

Basically I've been given the task to look at implementing a mirrored server (that is, two servers which are identical and if one fails, the other takes over). I gather the term these days is failover.

Now the last time I looked at anything like this was when I was given a demonstration of such a thing on Novell Netware 4 (so you can guess how long ago that was).

One of the issues is that the servers are going to be running a flavour of Windows Server (probably 2003), at least for some stuff.

On the commercial side of things the only solutions I have found are Double Take (it basically runs on a Windows Server and any changes to one server get applied to the other), VMWare ESX with VMotion and some VMWare console package (VMotion and the console package cost money) or Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V.

Doing a bit more searching though came up woth Proxmox VE which I gather is available as a distro which is based on Debian Lenny, or can be added to an existing Lenny install.

The idea I like about Proxmox is the fact it supports both KVM machines (so it can run a full OS such as Windows, Linux etc) and OpenVZ containers (which Gordon has mentioned before) so I could mix Linux and Windows on the same servers if I wish.

So before I try all this, I wondered if anyone had given Proxmox a try at all (or know of any alternatives?).

Ta,

Rob