Re: [LUG] Proxmox VE

On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 13:54 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 2010, Paul Hirst wrote:

> > We are using DRBD + OCFS2 + KVM here to provide a redundant virtual
> > hosting solution. If you added a bit of monitoring and automatic
> > failover that's pretty much the solution you are looking for. Live
> > migration already works like a charm so adding failover should be simple
> > enough, we just haven't bothered yet.
>
> Hm. that's intersting - but doesn't OCFS2 negate the need for DRBD???

OCFS2 is a shared access filesystem built on top of a shared block
device. Usually you would expect the shared block device to be a SAN
but you can instead use DRBD (in master-master mode) for a similar (and
generally much cheaper) result.

> I did look at OCFS many (7?) years ago and wasn't sure of it's stability
> then, but just had a quick look now and it's looking very intersting - and
> I've a client who may benefit from it too... Do you have any idea of
> performance of it?
All I can really say is it's 'fine'. We have DRBD running over a
crossover cable to it's pair machine, so that runs at a gigabit. We
don't currently have any performance concerns and I haven't run any
benchmarks.

I was going to run bonnie++ on the OCFS2 filesystem and on a local ext4
filesystem just to see the difference, but it claims I need to use file
sizes which are more than twice the amount of ram. The machine has 12G
of ram and I don't have 24G of free disk space without moving some
things around, so for the moment I'll have to leave it. If I ever get
round to doing some benchmarks I'll post the results.

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.