Re: [LUG] Proxmox VE

On 03/06/10 08:53, Paul Hirst wrote:
On Wed, 2010-06-02 at 20:18 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
Hi folks,

I was wondering if anyone has had a look at Proxmox VE at all?
No, although it looks nice

Basically I've been given the task to look at implementing a mirrored
server (that is, two servers which are identical and if one fails, the
other takes over).  I gather the term these days is failover.

We are using DRBD + OCFS2 + KVM here to provide a redundant virtual
hosting solution. If you added a bit of monitoring and automatic
failover that's pretty much the solution you are looking for. Live
migration already works like a charm so adding failover should be simple
enough, we just haven't bothered yet.

We have built it on Ubuntu Lucid, putting the components together
ourselves rather than using something like Proxmox. We don't have a web
gui but the virt-manager tool is perfectly reasonable.

Ahh that's good. I like the idea of Proxmox because it's already done and they also offer paid for support.

I've had good success using clonezilla to take images of real systems.
I've only used it against Linux systems but I don't see why it wouldn't
work for Windows. The only trouble you might have is getting the correct
disk driver installed before you make the image. However, if you install
the virtio disk and network drivers onto the real hardware before taking
the disk image I think it should work.

I've used Clonezilla to image some Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 desktops (and Linux boxes) but not Windows Server. I'm hoping to give it a try soonish (it's just a case of arranging some down time or putting a test box together to try it on first). I'll report back how I get on.

Ta,

Rob