Re: [LUG] Laptop advice, please.

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 12:47 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 10/05/10 09:59, John Williams wrote:
>

> > Well playing WoW on it as I was trying to say is a secondary concern
> > (but yes it does support multiple cores), I am more particularly
> > interested in which one would be fastest in general use, if there was
> > next to nothing between the two, but one was more capable of handling
> > WoW, then that clearly would have swung it. But really, I just wanted to
> > know if the Semperons higher clock speed would win out against a dual
> > core celeron, which would be snappier.
>
> Since Windows (and Linux for that matter) is capable of supporting
> multiple cores (or CPUs) then you'd probably find find the Celeron Dual
> Core is faster.  You can't directly compare a Sempron and Celeron as
> they are two different chips, a better comparison would be a Celeron
> 1.9GHz and a Celeron 2.1Ghz for instance.

Well I wasn't trying to compare the two directly, I was asking about
their general performance. I had expected someone on the list to have
some experience with the hardware and be able to say "Machine X is going
to be the faster machine given your stated uses."

Everything got really hung up on running WoW, which was only a secondary
thing.

I really know little about hardware, googling got pretty complicated,
fairly fast.

> > It is going to get some extra ram, its going to remain W7 for the time
> > being as I need to spend some time learning it for fixing relatives and
> > friends installs. After that, its very highly likely to be Linuxified.
> >
> > Well I'm leaning to the Samsung so that is probably what I'll go for
> > failing any further comments.
> >

> I'd certainly recommend sticking some more memory in there, at least
> upgrade it to 2GB, if not 3GB (if you're running a 32-Bit OS then there
> isn't much point in sticking any more then 3GB in there especially if
> it's DDR2 memory).

Yes I was inclined to go with 3 or 4gb, likely the 3 due to cost, good
point on 32bit OS and addressing it.

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides