Re: [LUG] Laptop advice, please.

On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 09:47 +0100, tom wrote:
> John Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, 2010-05-10 at 09:00 +0100, tom wrote:
> >

> >> It will be suitable for gaming on for about 6 months - then w7 will have
> >> a service pack and the game will upgrade and the merry go round will
> >> start again.
> >> Tom te tom te tom
> >>

> > I'm not too worried about any other games, WoW is the only thing I play
> > on a PC, anything else is PS3 as its cheaper than trying to keep a PC up
> > to date in hardware.
> >
> > I spent 6mnths though unable to play WoW due to some problem with Ubuntu
> > 9.10 and Cedega, so if the laptop was capable, then that would be a
> > bonus in the future, but I am not overly concerned about that.
> >
> > I just really want to know which machine is likely to give the best
> > general performance, I would imagine the dual core. Maybe.
> >
> only if you get an MP version of Wow - if there is one - I dont know I
> dont play games anymore. You may be best of seeing if the Wow site has
> some comparisons of chips/setups as to say which is faster is really
> the  how long is a piece of string question. IF you only really
> concerned about WoW then I'd ask there somewhere - a multiprocessor
> version of WoW could exhibit several 10s of % speed difference in a
> Linux setup to a Wx version as a W7 may spend all its time making sure
> your not using copyright code on behalf of the RIAA rather than working
> for you, or it could be crap code in Linux: some MP versions of code
> run slower on 2 processors than one but really fly if they're on 4 or more..
> I'm not being very much help here but its very hard to give an answer to
> the question...
> Tom te tom te tom

Well playing WoW on it as I was trying to say is a secondary concern
(but yes it does support multiple cores), I am more particularly
interested in which one would be fastest in general use, if there was
next to nothing between the two, but one was more capable of handling
WoW, then that clearly would have swung it. But really, I just wanted to
know if the Semperons higher clock speed would win out against a dual
core celeron, which would be snappier.

It is going to get some extra ram, its going to remain W7 for the time
being as I need to spend some time learning it for fixing relatives and
friends installs. After that, its very highly likely to be Linuxified.

Well I'm leaning to the Samsung so that is probably what I'll go for
failing any further comments.

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides