Re: [LUG] Laptop advice, please.

On 10/05/10 09:59, John Williams wrote:

Well playing WoW on it as I was trying to say is a secondary concern
(but yes it does support multiple cores), I am more particularly
interested in which one would be fastest in general use, if there was
next to nothing between the two, but one was more capable of handling
WoW, then that clearly would have swung it. But really, I just wanted to
know if the Semperons higher clock speed would win out against a dual
core celeron, which would be snappier.

Since Windows (and Linux for that matter) is capable of supporting multiple cores (or CPUs) then you'd probably find find the Celeron Dual Core is faster. You can't directly compare a Sempron and Celeron as they are two different chips, a better comparison would be a Celeron 1.9GHz and a Celeron 2.1Ghz for instance.

It is going to get some extra ram, its going to remain W7 for the time
being as I need to spend some time learning it for fixing relatives and
friends installs. After that, its very highly likely to be Linuxified.

Well I'm leaning to the Samsung so that is probably what I'll go for
failing any further comments.

I'd certainly recommend sticking some more memory in there, at least upgrade it to 2GB, if not 3GB (if you're running a 32-Bit OS then there isn't much point in sticking any more then 3GB in there especially if it's DDR2 memory).

Rob