Re: [LUG] Meeting, thanks. -ideas on promotion

On 09/05/10 21:02, John Hansen wrote:
On 09/05/2010 20:42, Rob Beard wrote:

I believe this particular case was because we got features in the
computer column in the Herald Express newspaper and were offering
copies of The Open Disc.

Rob

Rob,

I would have thought that an article in The Western Morning News might
be seen by a wider audience as it covers
not only Devon but Cornwall as well. have a go! Maybe parts of Somerset
as well -who knows!

John W

Does the Western Morning News have a computer column in it?

The reason we got mentioned in the Herald Express is because the guy who writes the column previously wrote a bit about Open Source software and I commented on his blog about other applications. There was also the fact that there was an upcoming LUG meeting in Paignton a day or two after the article was published and we were ready with copies of The Open Disc to give out.

Maybe if we can get a meeting setup in Cornwall (rather than many threads talking about it but nothing happening) then it might then be worth getting an article in the Western Morning News.

Hopefully too we'll be able to get something going at Exwick this year. I won't commit to a date as we've got to upgrade the LTSP installation at Exwick and get a few bits and pieces finished which has taken a little while to arrange, but once it's finished Rick has mentioned a LUG meeting at the Exwick Community Centre amongst other things, so maybe we could arrange things so there is a LUG meeting in Paignton on the first Saturday of every month, one in Exwick on the second Saturday of every month and one in Holsworthy on the Third Saturday of every month?

Actually, I guess it doesn't have to be on a Saturday, could be a Sunday, or maybe even on the same day as another meeting?

By the way, is there any news on the Plymouth meeting that was discussed? I believe the Mutley Crown was mentioned as a possible venue?

I did get a brief e-mail back from the Mutley Crown with regards to holding a LUG meeting, their response was as follows:

"We allow children until 8pm everyday. We don’t do food, but your are more than welcome to bring your own there are plenty of takeaways around. You can park right across the road (by Dominoes Pizza) or there is a car park about 100-200 Yards away."

They didn't mention Wifi. I guess the owners of the Mutley Crown (or whoever runs it) might have Wifi, so maybe we could offer to chip in a fiver to use their wifi, or possibly suggest they get wifi and we could maybe offer to set it up for them (considering broadband is reasonably cheap, possibly offering to chip in a fiver when we have meetings there might help too).

Rob