Re: [LUG] Lifespan of an SSD [Was Re: Setting up new disk.]

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Julian Hall wrote:

Something I've wondered about for a while, but keep forgetting to ask.

As I understand it, SSD lifespan is measured in numbers of r/w cycles, as discussed at http://hothardware.com/News/Two-Methods-for-Measuring-SSD-Lifespans/ With that in mind is it such a great idea to put an OS on an SSD as it will be almost constantly engaged in readign and writing, far more so I would have thought than a data drive - depending on the user of course.

Modern SSDs (and very likely most flash based 'drives' these days) have a feature called write wear leveling - they remember which areas have been written and write new data to lesser written areas to level-out the writing over the whole device.

The upshot is that it's not going to be worth worying about wearing out a sector for the lifetime of the device.

Also, buying bigger is better - more areas to write!

My own experiences have been good - I've been using plug-in Flash based IDE drives for some years now and nothad one fail yet. My AAO takes a pounding every time I apt-get update it and that's well over a year old now (wifeys is 2 I reckon)

So I'd suggest that for the average user it's nothing much to wory about.

Gordon