Re: [LUG] Lifespan of an SSD [Was Re: Setting up new disk.]

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 23:28:19 +0100
Julian Hall wrote:

> Something I've wondered about for a while, but keep forgetting to ask.
>
> As I understand it, SSD lifespan is measured in numbers of r/w
> cycles, as discussed at
> http://hothardware.com/News/Two-Methods-for-Measuring-SSD-Lifespans/
> With that in mind is it such a great idea to put an OS on an SSD as
> it will be almost constantly engaged in readign and writing, far more
> so I would have thought than a data drive - depending on the user of
> course.
>
> Julian

Is it such a great idea to put an OS on an SSD?  If the lifespan is
rated in the number of write actions on any given part of the drive,
then it probably wouldn't be a very clever idea putting the regularly
changing parts of the system on it... /var, /home?  But the bits that
don't change very often... why not?  The beauty is being able to have
all the various bits of the filesystem spread out in multiple places
and yet still have it work nice and cleanly 'cos you've mounted them in
the right place.

Grant.