Re: [LUG] Lifespan of an SSD [Was Re: Setting up new disk.]

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010, Rhia Knowles wrote:

All depends on what you want it for.

The read speeds of SSDs are supposed to be significantly faster then HDDs,
thus speeding up program loading and stuff. I wouldnt store Documents on it
but for the OS itself, considering you can always reinstall it from the
livecd onto a new one...

Affordable SSDs aren't that faster than current hard drives - and until very recenty they were slower - the SDD in my AAO is really slow - some 10MB/sec if I'm lucky... I have spinny drives in servers that can sustain read speeds of 120MB/sec... (that's individual drives, not RAID)

Were they gain though is random seek time - which is zero.

The only reason I havent experimented is the prices of the bloody things....

There is that...

Compact Flash is cheap right now though - it's possible to build a box with several CF cards in. My new PBXs boot directly off CF - and there is even a mod. for the AAO (and others) to replace their slow SSD with a much faster CF device!

Gordon