Re: [LUG] Lifespan of an SSD [Was Re: Setting up new disk.]

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 13:15:43 +0100, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'd be curious to know how to do it - the write wear leveling that is. Unless they have intimate knowledge of the filesystem they can only do a one-of logical block mapping to sectors the SSD knows have never been written to before - once that sector has been written, the SSD won't know if it's free or not.

I think the idea is that in the future the filesystem driver will tell the SSD when erasures happen. I gathered that brtfs will support such things. I presume that means that the SSDs have a manner in which you can tell them where the empty space is, or instruct it to erase a page or something like that.

If that's the case, as a stopgap until the filesystem drivers catch up, you could have a program that looks through the drive and tells the SSD where the empty space is. It can be the new defragging.