Re: [LUG] Totally OT: Claiming benefits

On 23/04/10 18:01, Henry Bremridge wrote:

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 02:53:32PM +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
Hi folks,

I've just put in a claim for some benefits from the council (long
story but with no money coming in while I'm between work, I figured
I should apply for what I'm entitled to).

Sorry to hear but in case anyone has problems below are some links that
people may find helpful: some of the benefits are very restrictive and
the area can be a mine field. If anyone reading this has a concern /
question please get proper advice (eg Citizens Advice) sooner rather
than later

www.adviceguide.org.uk: (lots of information but two in particular)
        for debts see ur1.ca/nm1w
        for tax-free benefits ur1.ca/nm24
Consumer Advice
        Energy Debts    ur1.ca/whu6
        Priority Service Register ur1.ca/obs4
General money: www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk
Reduced telephone line rental ur1.ca/p6oj
General benefit checker: can be helpful but the devil is in the details
        www.entitledto.co.uk
        DirectGov ur1.ca/vocv
Entitlement to statepensions: ur1.ca/o7qi
Wrong time of year but www.warmfront.co.uk

Thanks Henry, in times like these where things seem to be tight, it's always handy to know who to speak to and handy to know what you're entitled to.

Rob