[LUG] Torbay Council benefits web site advertising Microsoft

Hi folks,

I've just put in a claim for some benefits from the council (long story but with no money coming in while I'm between work, I figured I should apply for what I'm entitled to).

Anyway, apart from the online benefits application link being really hard to find (took at least 10 minutes of searching the Torbay Council web site), I see they are kind of advertising Microsoft...

At the bottom of each page in the system it has this (albeit in small white text)...

"Designed by IEG4  using eFormStudio® | Powered by Microsoft technologies"

Funny that, I bet if it was powered by Sun, sorry Oracle technologies, or IBM, RedHat, Canonical etc technologies it wouldn't get a mention.

Clicking on the IEG4 link brings up their site, they are Microsoft 'Gold' partners and clicking on the Powered by Microsoft link takes me to www.microsoft.co.uk

I can't see why it's needed on the page to be honest. Okay maybe if it was Drupal or something it might need a notice to say it's done under the GPL, but I can't see why it even needs to say it was powered by Microsoft technologies.

Suffice to say though, after this little rant, the site did actually work fine with Firefox 3.6 on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Beta 2) which is something!

At least it didn't require Internet Explorer :-)

(Oh and after entering it all, I had to print a form off and send it in the post, so much for online applications!).

Rob