Re: [LUG] Laptop as a desktop replacement

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> My experience with Acers has been quite good - I have both an AAO and An
> Acer Aspite 5050 standard laptop thing.
>
> One good thing is that the Acer Laptops (and desktops I bought for a
> company I worked with a while back) seem to come with the hard drive
> partitioned into 3: A small windows recovery partition, then the rest
> abut 50:50 with a Windows C: drive and a blank D: drive. I unstalled
> Debian Lenny on the D: drive (after repartitioning it as I needed it)
> and made it dual-boot. I very rarely go into Windoze (it's XP), but
> there is one program I need to use which I can only run from XP, and
> it's sometimes handy to view a website in IE - other than that I leave
> it - so I've never gone to the hassle of wiping it and getting the refund.
>
> I've bought mine (and wifeys AAO) from Moortek in South Brent - they are
> an Acer dealer and a friendly bunch (I knew them when they were based in
> Buckfastleigh).
>
> Gordon

I have heard good reports of Acer laptops and also Asus. I will have a
look at Moortek. And, I realise that almost always some version of
Windows will be installed. Like you I wouldn't bother with a refund.
Unlike you I would get rid of Windows entirely.

Regards

Neil