Re: [LUG] Skype on Linux

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010, tom wrote:

I wonder if one could use a skype client to route one off calls from other (proper) VOIP systems - if it takes input from pulseaudio and presumably some kind of voip phone front end then it should be possible to drive the skype client from something else? I guess you could do the same on windows too - and presumably the receiving end could do that too...

There are ways to do it - and do it for free if you're willing to make the effort. Googling might help.. You can do it locally by "plumbing" audio devices together and running a SIP client and a Skype client on the same PC too. People have done it, but it does rely on a lot of code to keep running.

There are also external services who bridge SIP and Skype together - it is also something I could offer, but I'd have to pay for the license to use it, and then I'd have to persuade my clients to pay for it...

From my point of view it boils down to time - and how much your itme is
worth. I've watched people struggle for days and days to get a "free" VoIP system going for the small business when I'd have done it for them for less than their time in monetary terms, but then it wouldn't have been "free" to them ;-)

But for home use you've got all the time in the world!

Gordon