Re: [LUG] The tablet everyone is talking about..

On Thu, 2010-04-08 at 16:12 +0100, tom wrote:

> I've been biting my fingers trying not to order a few of these. I wonder
> if the order goes through more easily if you add a service to it?
> Does seem a bit of a loss leader?
> Tom te tom te tom

I've not had a dispatch notice for the one I ordered yesterday for a
friend, they are perhaps running low or something. I have had the emails
about receiving the order etc though so it has gone through. I'll call
them tomorrow if I still hear nothing.

I've had a real good fiddle with mine, one thing I did was add myself as
a root user to it in addition to the known "letmein" user that grants
root, then set the passwd file to immutable, also made the telnetd
command immutable, then I shall poke some more to check which script is
starting it and flag that as immutable also.

Hopefully that should stop an update trying to revoke the ability to
telnet in.

Others have got ssh working on it, there is quite a community popped up
over the weekend/week at joggler.info

Lots of extra apps to add to it from the openpeak devices, I've added
facebook and some others, a much nicer weather applet too.

The second one I ordered for myself is sat  as a bedside clock, I needed
one, I'm blind as a bat without glasses and its a nice big readable
display, I might poke at it to lower the brightness a little more when
dims I think. Fun, fun, fun.

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides