Re: [LUG] Solaris 10 only free for 90 days!

Rob Beard wrote:

>> I mean, in case Oracle decided to not release MySQL GPLed anymore, will
>> the already released GPL code remain free?

The GPL released code would remain.

> I was under the impression that once code is released under the GPL it
> can't be re-licensed to anything else, or was it that it couldn't be
> re-licensed without the permission of all the code authors?

If you own the copyright you can release code under GPL and other licence.

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/selling-exceptions

However if people develop the GPL version you either have to persuade
them to assign copyright of their modification to you, or come up with
some sort agreement to licence their improvements under the other license.

> I'm sure this was why the Linux kernel didn't go over to the GPL 3.
> Could be mistaken though.

Linus doesn't like the GPLv3 DRM clauses, and there are practical issues
because Linux was released under "GPLv2" and not "GPLv2 or later
versions". So it would require agreement of all the copyright holders
(and there are a lot of them).

I suspect they'll never move from GPLv2 for the kernel.