Re: [LUG] CMS suggestions?

Rob Beard wrote:

> Other than that others which come to mind are Joomla and
> Drupal (although I haven't used either although, hey the LUG site is now
> on Drupal so you're more likely to get some responses on this).

I've used Joomla and Drupal, and whilst I'm perpetually impressed by
what Drupal can do it is not for small single editor websites, nor for
folk who are not computer literate and it is strangely awkward at times
for some simple (and one would have thought common tasks).

Drupal reminds me of Debian in the sense that the best way to do most
things is to find a module that does precisely that and install it.
Although unlike Debian usually after each module install there is a
little fussing assigning which roles can do what (often before anyone
can use a new module).

As such I suspect for many multi-user websites Drupal could be the
answer - and I've seen educated commentaries to that effect.

Joomla impressed me when I first saw it, and it would be easier than
Drupal for what is described. But somehow I never got that confident
feel good factor that I do with Drupal, on the other hand there is a
reseller doing Joomla customised for UK schools - which might be worth a
look.

But of the three biggies WordPress sounds the most suitable so far,
based on the limited spec.

As regards the Calendar question - there are lots of little iCal to web
type gateway tools. I'd be tempted to use a public calendar systems
(like Google Calendar) and just use one of these tools to publish events
in the near future to the website, unless the CMS system eventually
chosen does Calendars really well so people can subscribe. i.e. I
wouldn't make the CMS decision based just on calendar support as
calendars can be added if the system meets other requirements.

The school website marketing is big enough to have their own products
(like SyndeoCMS) - so wait till Mark E responds. But a lot of these
products include more than the basic brochure site style CMS - i.e. they
have Course management Systems, or allow classes to create their own
pages, or allow additional access for parents etc etc.

I should also mention $DAYJOB (350.com), but that doesn't do events -
would have to use some third party plugin.