[LUG] CMS suggestions?

I am the webmaster of a small independent school, which means the
administrator asks me to put this on, or that that off the website and
I edit the relevant files in vim and upload them to their server using
gftp. Which is nice in a geeky way, but unnecessarily complicated.

So I'm looking for a CMS that enables the administrator to make all
the basic changes herself. (I don't think she knows HTML, but she's
not computer illiterate either.) I was thinking of using Wordpress,
which I'm quite familiar with and which requires little effort to be
used in a non-blog environment, but I suppose it's not ideal for a
site that mostly consists of static pages. So I was wondering what
would be more suitable. In particular, it would be great if the CMS
has a tool that lets you manage calendars, where events disappear
automatically off the website once the event has finished.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Martijn.