Re: [LUG] Ubuntu 10.04 (Daily Build 18th March 2010) first impressions

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010, NW wrote:

I have been using Linux for about 8 years now and I have never risked an
update. I always install from new. Yes, I have to copy over some of my
files, but not many.

I've never had any significant issues when upgrading Debian - however I do tend to do things somewhat differently from most and use my own versions of some applications (and the kernel) than the package maintainers versions.

I've just upgraded 2 servers from Etch to Lenny and will be doing a third in the next week or so - all are 300 miles away, so it's somewhat challenging to make sure everything is 100% before doing the reboot...

On the other hand, I do tend to stay with a version which works for me
long after new ones have appeared. I am still using Kubuntu Hardy at the
moment. If it ain't broke ......

Quite - I still have a server on Debian Woody - that's about to be "absorbed" into a LXC container running under Lenny on new hardware - easier to do that to migrate it to new hardware than to actually try to port the applications -which I'm told by the owners rely on php4 and mysql4 - bleeding edge 6 years ago when they went live...

I'm really liking LCX now - Wished I'd gotten into virtualization earlier. All my new servers now will run inside containers on a host, and I'm nigrating all the existing ones which I can - makes it utterly trivial to migrate servers/applications to different hardware now. (Although LXC doesn't have live process migration - yet)

Gordon