Re: [LUG] Ubuntu 10.04 (Daily Build 18th March 2010) first impressions

On 18 March 2010 15:35, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Well the laptop for my folks has arrived, I'm just backing up Windows 7
> *just in case* they don't get on with Ubuntu (although saying that they
> aren't used to computers so it should be easy enough to just show them
> Ubuntu/Gnome).
>
> Now I did find an issue with CloneZilla (Jaunty I think) on this new laptop
> where it wouldn't boot.  So I figured, right time to try Lucid.  I'd tried
> daily builds of Lucid before in Virtualbox but they wouldn't boot, so I
> wasn't sure what was going to happen.
>
> So I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha daily build 18th March 2010.  Created a
> bootable SD card (no USB sticks handy!) and proceeded to boot.
>
> First of all the isolinux boot menu is different, it still asks for language
> but it seems to just sit there for a couple of seconds until I press enter.
>  Not sure if that's me, I didn't really look at it much, might be just me
> being impatient.
>
> Other than that the logo has changed and it's purple.
>
> So I selected the option to boot without installing (can't remember the
> exact wording) and up came a new fancy Ubuntu splash screen with the new
> logo on a purple background with some dots.  All in all it took about 30
> seconds or so to boot.  Much quicker than CD and without the drop down to a
> text console for some debug messages which I got on Ubuntu 9.10.
>
> The actual switch from the splash screen to the desktop was seamless, I
> didn't even realise X had started until I heard the Ubuntu startup sound.
>  I'm not sure if it's using Plymouth but it was certainly fancy.

Yeah thats the new usplash it came in with Karmic.

> The desktop looks pretty much the same, the colour scheme has changed a bit
> to a light grey colour which will take a bit of getting used to.  The
> background is purple but the icons still have the brown theme which TBH I
> didn't think went too well, but I can't do any better so I can't argue with
> it.
You could try http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=121 for a
new theme. Download, then drop the tar.gz into the theme dialog to
install it.

> The window title bars are different, the minimise/maximise/restore/close
> buttons are on the left hand side.

Hmm, annoying.

> That was about as far as I got, I had to get on with sorting the machine out
> but I'm planning on having another play tomorrow.
>
> The machine in question is an Acer Extensa 5635Z with Pentium Dual Core
> 2.1GHz CPU, Broadcom ethernet, Atheros Wireless and Intel GMA4500M graphics.
>
> I did notice some flickering, I put this down to Compiz although I will
> investigate further tomorrow.  At least I can say the wireless and Bluetooth
> (which my notebook doesn't have!) works out of the box.  I'm guessing the
> webcam will too, but I'll find out tomorrow.
>
> So yeah, initial impressions of Ubuntu 10.04 and this notebook are very
> good.
>
> Rob

Cool. I'm stuck running Mint7 (Jaunty based) on this laptop as
Karmic/Mint8  Kernel Panic.
Might try it out on the desktop at some point when I'm not drowning in
assignments.