Re: [LUG] File sharing: article by Which

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 18:41:08 +0000
James Fidell wrote:

> Simon Williams wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 5:16 PM, Mike Martin
> > <redtux1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Just a point - according to media industry the same file can be
> >> legally downloaded but illegally uploaded
> >
> > That sounds like a legal joke.
> >
> > I know that code, artwork, etc is often released as "free to use,
> > but please don't distribute, link to us instead". But I seriously
> > doubt anyone would sue over this unless you were making money from
> > it.
> >
> > What other circumstances would make something free to download but
> > not upload?
>
> Where the licensing terms make it free for one group of users, but not
> for all others.  It's quite common in that situation (based on my
> experience) to have a clause in the licence preventing redistribution.
> I imagine anything like that is unlikely to be offered by the
> distributor via a P2P network though.
>
> James

Surely the very nature of P2P anything that is *being* downloaded is
also *being* uploaded at the same time.  If someone releases/distributes
something on P2P with a clause saying "don't upload this to others"
then they really need to find out how P2P works.

Grant.