Re: [LUG] If You Support Free Software, Talk To Your MP Now

Hi John,

> How does any of its provisions affect Linux users?

Codecs and other tools necessary to play multimedia could become
unavailable as Music/Film industry groups threaten your ISP and the
sites providing them are blocked without any evidence.

> I do not download music if that is the problem.

But...

you may want to view websites with contraversial content, or rely on
journalists to do so for you.. for instance the Telegraphs campaign on
MPs expenses, the Trafigura case, or the "Halloween" documents.

You may also find that you can no longer access the internet from any
of : your own, or your friends house, your library, your work, your
local cybercafe, your mobile phone, your wireless internet dongle
because others have used or spoofed the ip and been blocked, without
necessarily doing anything wrong, as there is no business reason for
any ISP to not cave into threats immediately without recourse to the
courts.

Of course it may not be pure self interest, you might possibly believe
that an outdated industry has no place writing laws to give itself or
unelected ministers new powers to block, disconnect or censor parts of
the internet without due process through parliament, nor due process
in court afterwoods.

You may also belief that the right to access to education, information
and public services online is more important than the rights of an IP
owner to unilaterally and disproportionately punish those who they
believe may infringe them.. after all we don't have Louis Vitton
banning you from holidaying in greece or Tiffany blocking motorways to
check that nobody has any fake jewellery, which this law is akin to.

regards,

Aaron J Trevena, BSc Hons
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk