Re: [LUG] If You Support Free Software, Talk To Your MP Now

John Hansen wrote:
> On 14/03/2010 18:40, dandart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Seriously? A law in the UK makes it possible to contravene software
>> licenses? That's not on.
>>
>> On , Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hi folks,
>> >

>> > This was recently posted on the Free Software Manchester list and I
>> thought it might be of interest to the LUG.
>> >

>> > Rob
>> >

>> > Now is the time to ask for a meeting with your MP and tell ask them
>> >
>> > whether they have really understand the treat posed by the bill and
>> >
>> > ask why they support the way this legislation has bypassed due
>> >
>> > process.
>> >

>> > You probably don't know much about the Digital Economy Bill (DEB).
>> >
>> > That's because the large media lobby have used their influence to
>> >
>> > avoid the usual due process. There has been no public consultation
>> >
>> > allowed. Their Lordships cannot accept Memoranda.
>> >

>> > GNU free software relies on copyleft licensing. The orphaned works
>> >
>> > provisions has been crafted by the large media groups. The phrasing
>> >
>> > means that all software (and most photography) is automatically
>> >
>> > classed as orphaned. So - for a small fee - an additional
>> >
>> > unconditional license can be obtained from a licensing authority. So,
>> >
>> > any company who doesn't like the GPL will be able to lawfully apply
>> >
>> > for an additional license without the copyleft provisions.
>> >

>> > Leaked documents from the lobbyists show that they do not believe that
>> >
>> > if MPs took the time to scruntinise this bill that it would pass[1].
>> >
>> > The Liberal Democrats sold out their principles to the big media lobby
>> >
>> > last week[2]. This means that the last best chance to stop this bill
>> >
>> > has passed. It is almost certain to be passed in washup as soon as the
>> >
>> > general election is called with no substantive review.
>> >

>> > So why bother getting involved if there's no chance of winning?
>> >

>> > It's important to take this chance to make a stand and exhaust what
>> >
>> > little remains of the due political process whilst you still can
>> >
>> > within the law. DEB is also an enabling bill for copyright. This
>> >
>> > allows (on Ministerial whim) criminalisation of political speech (by
>> >
>> > retrospective reassignment of copyright). Once it's been passed, you
>> >
>> > may not even be able to express your views without the threat of a
>> >
>> > long goal sentence.
>> >

>> > (Members of the Liberal Democrats should seriously reconsider whether
>> >
>> > they really wish to remain part of such a hypocritical party)
>> >

>> > Robert
>> >

>> > [1] http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/12/leaked-uk-record-ind.html
>> >
>> > [2] http://www.boingboing.net/2010/03/11/leaked-documents-uk.html

>> > --

>> > FAQ: http://www.dcglug.org.uk/linux_adm/list-faq.html
>> >
> Hi,
>
> I frankly do not understand what all this is about and can certainly not
> approach
> Dan Rogerson MP for North Cornwall on the basis of this missive.
>
> I am happy to write to him if I understand the problem or if I see a
> [...]
I agree, i need help drafting letters to send to Mp's etc,  so the facts
/ concerns are set out clearly.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details