Re: [LUG] web based control thing

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 09:00:48AM +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Henry Bremridge wrote:
>
> >     a)      Is it possible, on a windows box, to have one application connect
> >     over a VPN with all other web connections to be via local ISP?
>
> It should be  - the VPN will establish a route to a destiantion IP
> address (or range of IP addreses). So any application accessing that
> IP address ought to go over the VPN and anything accessing anything
> else ought to not go over it - however I don't know what sort of
> policies and control Windoes VPNs have to offer.

Good. Thanks

> Although not a major part of my business, I have built little
> file-serving appliances for my clients in the past - miniITX bases,
> 2 drives, mirrored, shuttle type case, running Linux & Samba.
> Hardware costs you're looking at under £300. (One client I lease
> this facility to for £30 a month which includes remote backup.
> They're in their 4th year now and I'm about to replace it with
> new....)
>
> The alternative is a ready-built NAS type box - and there are many
> makers of these now with as many prices to match. Some have backup
> facilities, some don't.
>
> You probably already have the switch and cabling if currently
> networked them all together, but a cheap 24-port 10/100 switch could
> be £70-£150 plus cabling.
>
> Time on-site is the most expensive part of it, especially if you're
> paying someone to run cables, etc.

Good. Thanks

They have IT volunteers and they have cables so marginal costs should be
minimal: alternatively secure wifi might be cheaper.

Anything that allows me to store data from one terminal, access it from
anyother PC on the same lan and then delete would be an improvement.
Cost justification is, as I thought, the hard step

> >     2.      Adding email facilities for about 50 user to go out over local
> >             ISP, but making sure two applications access a VPN
>
> Basic email is cheap these days, but you do get what you pay for -
> e.g. anti-virus, spam, remote webmail, etc.

Yes. Current email provider allows 10 emails every 10 | 30 minutes or
something like that. No wonder it is not used.

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.