Re: [LUG] web based control thing

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 10:40:18PM +0000, Rob Beard wrote:

> Do you mean being able to connect into your PC remotely from
> anywhere on the internet?
>
> If so, yes there is (as far as I'm aware), GoToMyPC (which I believe
> you have to pay for after 30 days and just runs on Windows and Mac
> OS) and LogMeIn (again the server application only runs on Windows
> and Mac OS (although the client is Flash, ActiveX or HTML based, and
> there is a Firefox plugin for Linux in a .deb package).
>
> Not so bad if you're remotely connecting to a Windows PC or Mac, but
> not much good if you need to remotely connect to a Linux box, maybe
> another solution for this would be VNC (possibly forwarded over
> SSH?) or FreeNX?

Been in two discussions over this, can someone help.

- I am involved with a charity, and their IT set up drives me nuts

        a)      Is it possible, on a windows box, to have one application connect
        over a VPN with all other web connections to be via local ISP?

        b) What would be the ballpark guesstimate cost of:

        1.      Connecting ~ 20 Windows XP currently on a peer to peer network to a
                linux server, then storing all user data in subdirectories on
                the linux server (full read / write access to all data to all
                users). Any additional equipment would need to be bought. I
                guess the following would be required

                -       Server (although I think there is already a box that could
                        be used)
                -       Switch or router
                -       Some cabling

                Buying basic equipment. (currently all user data is copied to
                all other machines using xcopy: its cheap, it works, its a pain)

        2.      Adding email facilities for about 50 user to go out over local
                ISP, but making sure two applications access a VPN

        (One of the tech volunteers suggested that point 1 would be
        impractical because Windows Server purchase and set up costs alone
        would be in the region of £5000. When I suggested ubuntu would be
        considerably cheaper it was implied I did not know what I was
        talking about. There were mutterings about Windows Exchange etc. I
        am quite prepared to believe I do not know enough: hence the
        question).

- What is the performance difference - if any - between sharing
  applications on windows with GoToMyPC vs sharing applications on Linux
  (debian) with ssh -X ....

  Or would I be correct in assuming that the performance difference
  would be negligible

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.