Re: [LUG] Mandriva One wifi

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Terry Hill wrote:

On 25 February 2010 15:14, Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
richard wrote:

How about Linuxmint?

Neil

http://distrowatch.com/  plenty to choose from. crunchbang maybe or even
bsd!

Yes, indeed, plenty to choose from. I suggested Mint because it is based
on Ubuntu which the OP said he liked.

I did get Mandriva going ok in the end, it was an install issue (had
to untick a box to get wifi working).  However, today I've got home,
booted the PC and it no longer recognises the wifi dongle.  I've made
no changes, all of the updates were installed yesterday and a cold
boot afterwards gave no problems - yet today, I can't connect, try to
reconfigure and it reports there being no dongle connected. *shrug*

I did try mint, has the same issues with my graphics card that ubuntu
does, discussed in another thread.

I'm burning Fedora right now as it's the 2nd off the top of the list
for the last 6 months. Starting to suffer from the symptoms of
"distro fatigue" though.

So stick to a distro and make it work.

I've not used anything other than Debian since 1995... I compile my own kernels to make hardware work and I'm not afraid of installing other software when neccessary. All distros give you a choice of window managers, just you need to know how to select it at install time (or run-time), so you never have to take the package maintainers versions if you don't want to.

This is Linuxs strengths - you have the choice - if you can be bothered to make it... Lifes too short to chase distros, so pick one and stick to it and learn how to customise it.

It's also Linux's downfall - We'll never get "Linux on the Desktop" unless it's supported by the manufacturers and they produce their own version of Debian/Centos/RH, etc. So it's up to us to make it work without giving in.

Wi-Fi did work under Mandrivel, so rather than just blow a new CD rom with a new distro, why not take the time to work out why it's not working now?

Gordon