[LUG] Mandriva One wifi

I've got mandriva "one" installed downstairs - I downloaded a few
other distros (mint, debian) and found they all had the same screen
issues mentioned yesterday, so I'm going to have to stay with mandriva
for now.  I also had a look at gentoo and decided that it was way over
my head for now.

I grabbed the WG111T drivers (1.2 version) from netgear, su'd to root
and installed them:

ndiswrapper -i athfmwdl.inf
ndiswrapper -i netwg11t.inf

depmod -a
modprobe ndiswrapper

all good up to this point, the light came on that sits in the dongle.
At this point, the network applet popped up and said "wlan0
connected".  Futher investigation showed that it was just "up" but not
connected to anything.

I tried to configure the network, but I get "wireless-tools" not installed.

If I try

iw list wlan0 scan

I get "iwl80211 missing"

Any ideas on how to get the wireless-tools package installed without
any connectivity?  I can download stuff onto a usb stick and take it
to the other pc, but searching around seems to find some fairly old
advice/opinions that I'm not sure are that relevant to this version of
the distro..