Re: [LUG] PC repairs (was Change of Web Host)

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 11:00:32PM +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> alex mclennan wrote:
> >bas wrote:
> >>On 02/23/2010 04:30 PM, Julian Hall wrote:
> >>Presuming when you hit the button some lights come on  ? The
> >>bios battery wont stop it booting, just the time will be wrong
> >>for your programmes. what happens if you put the graphics card
> >>back in ? I would put money on it being the mobo,, they seem to
> >>either run for ever or just about till the guarantee runs out!
> >>I'm in the same boat at the mo with corrupt graphics, i have
> >>swapped the video card so know its not the card and the board
> >>(gigabyte) is 14 months old. Have ordered a new board and
> >>processor (phenom 2 x2 550 black edition).
> >>
> >hi all,slightly off topic but my mate who seems to know about
> >these things,reckons that the year warranty you get on items in
> >this country is actually superceded by a european warrenty which
> >states that  there is a two year warranty.
> >but i cant seem to find any info on this,if this is true then you
> >could take your tower back to the place you got it from.
> >if anyone can enlighten me on this i would be grateful.
> >alex the noob
> >
> Not heard of that, I remember reading something about the sale of
> goods act, with being able to return the item for repair or
> replacement up to 5 years or so after purchase, not tried it though.

Sale of Goods Act 1979

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Governmentcitizensandrights/Consumerrights/DG_182935

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_world/consumer_affairs/buying_goods_your_rights.htm#your_rights_when_things_go_wrong

When you buy goods (including goods supplied as part of a service), the
law gives you certain rights as a consumer. The law says that the goods
must:

- be of satisfactory quality. This means that the goods should be free
  of any faults, including minor ones. They should be of the quality
  that a reasonable person would expect given the description, price and
  any other relevant circumstances. You can take into account the
  appearance and finish of the goods, and whether there are any defects
  (including minor ones). You can also take into account whether
  publicized information about specific features of the goods is
  accurate, and whether the goods are safe when used properly

- be fit for the purpose. This means that you must be able to use them
  for the purposes that you would normally expect from this type of
  product, or any purpose that you have told the seller you want to use
  them for

- match their description. This means that if there is a verbal or
  written description of the goods, it must be accurate. And if you
  choose goods after seeing a sample, your goods must match the sample.

Question

1.      Is the computer expected to last 14 months in normal use?
2.      Has it been used in such a manner that it would not last 14 months

If the answer to both is yes then the probability is that you may be
able to complain under the Sale of Goods Act (and for those reading this
there is a similar law regarding services).

If you are complaining then make sure that Anything discussed verbally
is confirmed in writing by you.

Whether you are successful is a separate issue and the above links
suggest that you can get help from ConsumerDirect

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/consumer-advice.cfm

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.