Re: [LUG] Install Screen Res

Terry Hill wrote:
I think I'd best leave it for now - although I've used Linux at work
before for running servers and suchlike, I'm no expert and I don't
trust myself to get things done without having the pc out of order for
a while.  Perhaps when I've got a bit more time I can sneak ubuntu
server in as a dual boot and spend some time ironing out the X issue,
then apply the solution to a fresh install.

It's a surprise you can't make any changes at boot to set refresh rates though.

Thanks for the help anyway everyone ;)
What graphics card is it?

Are you able to plug in a different monitor to get Ubuntu installed?

I've just had a look on my install, there is an app called xvidtune which appears to offer some settings although you need to be running X, and it might not be what you're looking for.

You could also try running...

xorg -configure

...to create a basic xorg.conf file (you'll need to run it as root or with sudo).

There's more here: http://www.x.org/wiki/ConfigurationHelp

Rob