Re: [LUG] Install Screen Res

> It might be that if you're determined to get Linux on it, you could try
> an "alternative" install and once it's in you can make changes to the
> Xorg.
>
> Or install the Server version of Ubuntu and then apt-get
> "ubuntu-desktop" to get all the Desktop bits and pieces in place.
>
> Or... or...

I think I'd best leave it for now - although I've used Linux at work
before for running servers and suchlike, I'm no expert and I don't
trust myself to get things done without having the pc out of order for
a while.  Perhaps when I've got a bit more time I can sneak ubuntu
server in as a dual boot and spend some time ironing out the X issue,
then apply the solution to a fresh install.

It's a surprise you can't make any changes at boot to set refresh rates though.

Thanks for the help anyway everyone ;)