[LUG] Install Screen Res

Having managed to wedge a linux install on my laptop without getting
into trouble, and subsequently our daughter trying it, loving it and
proceeding to rant at anyone within range how much she likes it, I've
managed to convince my lovely wife to let me install ubuntu onto the
study pc.  We'll still be running xp on the "games" machine for now,
but it's a step in the right direction.

Trouble is, the monitor attached is a dreadful samsung 720w, which
seems to support one screen res - 1280 x 720 @ 60hz.  Yup thats it.
It'll show an 800x600 screen, but it does like to whinge at you about
it.  Any other rez gives a handy box bouncing around which says
"non-standard screen resolution" - helpful eh?

Anyway, I've tried many combinations of boot options, safe mode, a
bunch of options from f6, swearing, turning around twice shouting
white rabbit, but I can't get it to boot up using this rez.  I'm also
scared that if the wife notices that it's a pain in the backside
getting linux onto this pc then I'll get one of those looks, and my
attempts at getting the house 100% linux will be dashed forever.

Any suggestions on how to proceed (that dont involve moving/buying equipment)?