Re: [LUG] tomtom on linux

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 20:40:09 +0000
Rob Beard wrote:

> tom wrote:
> > Rob Beard wrote:
> >> Even more annoying when the device itself runs Linux!
> >>
> >> You'd have thought it would be easy enough to put together a
> >> simple application to update it.
> >>
> >> Rob
> >>

> > Unless that was part of the patent agreement?
> > Tom te tom te tom
> >

> Who knows (apart from Microsoft and TomTom), maybe it could be.  I
> can't see why these devices need fancy programs to update themselves,
> why on earth they can't just give you a file to download and dump on
> an SD card or onto the device itself I don't know.
>
> Rob

Security through obscurity.  The mistaken belief that if they make the
process awkward enough then it is automatically a "secure" process.  If
all you need to do is download a file and dump it on the device, then
anyone can check out the contents of the file and reverse engineer it
for their own purposes.

Grant.