Re: [LUG] tomtom on linux

Grant Sewell wrote:
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 20:40:09 +0000
Rob Beard wrote:

tom wrote:
Rob Beard wrote:
tom wrote:
It really annoys me that they havent the wit to make a linux
update app. And they're paying MS a fortune to use windows as a communication method. Richard Heads!
Even more annoying when the device itself runs Linux!

You'd have thought it would be easy enough to put together a
simple application to update it.

Rob

Unless that was part of the patent agreement?
Tom te tom te tom

Who knows (apart from Microsoft and TomTom), maybe it could be.  I
can't see why these devices need fancy programs to update themselves,
why on earth they can't just give you a file to download and dump on
an SD card or onto the device itself I don't know.

Rob

Security through obscurity.  The mistaken belief that if they make the
process awkward enough then it is automatically a "secure" process.  If
all you need to do is download a file and dump it on the device, then
anyone can check out the contents of the file and reverse engineer it
for their own purposes.

Grant.

I do actually do that for map and speed camera updates for my TomTom. Download the files, bung the SD card in a USB reader, drop them on it It's only if the TomTom @ Home program needs/wants an update to the functionality that I (like Tom) have to use Windows.

Julian